June 7, 2013

Just so you're not like "OMG WHERE DID SHE GO?!"


I quit my job because I 
a) hated it
b) was thrown into another one.

Here's the story: 
Last December, I was going to apply to do this again, but got annoyed when my application wasn't working, and told myself LIKE AN IDIOT that I could do other things the next summer, while still enjoying myself. Then, the summer came around. I had a job and after only a week, realized that I was going to hate it. I was anxious to start school because it was going to give me some purpose. After many tearful conversations with my parents and not wanting them to think that I was a quitter, they told me to do what would make me happy, even if that meant quitting my job.

A few weeks later, I was talking to my friend, Kelsey on the phone and she told me that there were still plenty of weeks of EFY that needed to be filled with counselors. I told her that I was going to school and wasn't quite sure if I wanted to feel like a complete failure and quit everything that I had going on in my life just because it was hard. I mean, staying up in Logan practically by yourself (sorry, Austin) is no picnic. Logan is cool, or whatever, but it's so hard to watch all of your friends and family back home  celebrate the summer while you're going to school and working a job that won't give you time off. It is miserable. Anyway, I told Kelsey thanks, but no thanks, and that was the end of that. 

And then, my boss called me sweetie. 

Politely, I said, "That's not my name." He got in my face and told me, sarcastically, that he couldn't remember my name and that I would have to deal with his pet names.
That night, I called Kelsey and asked if the offer still stood. She got me in contact with some of the nicest people in the whole world, and minutes later, I was applying for the job.

The next day, I started school. I loved my classes (except for Natural Disasters in the Geology building... WHY IS THAT A REQUIRED CREDIT??) and it took a lot of prayer and a leap of faith to decide if it was right to drop out of school for the summer. I felt like I was taking the easy way out; it seemed like I was cheating. I spoke with my mom and she reassured me that whatever I felt like was the right decision was the right decision and that she would support either (but I think she was secretly rooting for the job where I get to travel and hang out with teenagers all day).

I woke up the next morning to what seemed like one thousand emails in my inbox. They were the most exciting emails ever! Emails telling me the places I had been assigned to go! Everything just sort of fell into place without me really even doing anything at all. Well, I did pray. I did a lot of that, and that was largely responsible. Okay, probably more than largely.
Thank goodness for prayer. And good friends who say the right thing at the right time. 
And Phyllis. Thank goodness for Phyllis.

So, that night, I quit my job without a two weeks notice (oops). I'll never get a good reference from them, but it was empowering to tell my boss that I wouldn't be back to work the next day. I think everyone should get to experience that at least once in their life. It feels good. After that, I dropped my semester, and felt like I couldn't do it all fast enough. 

BUT THE BEST NEWS IS
I haven't been this happy in weeks. 
Except for I have a small ear infection, and I'm going to cry if my eardrum ruptures on the plane. Because that shiz hurts.

Tomorrow, I'm headed to Flagstaff, AZ for two weeks to talk about the gospel and spend time with the youth of the church. It is seriously the best job in the whole entire world and I am feeling exponentially blessed to be doing it. What a whirlwind of a week. Blessed. So blessed. Have I already said that?

3 comments:

  1. natural disasters in the geology building = most useless class of my college career

    congrats on efy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay Courtney! I'm so glad you're going back. Even though I'm not involved in EFY this summer... I really was thinking to myself, too bad Courney isn't going back! So this is really just going to be good for everyone involved. I have a good feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What would we do without prayer? I'd be so lost!

    Sounds like such an adventure you're on! I love spur of the moment decisions and quitting jobs. So empowering! Take that, Roadhouse!

    ReplyDelete

i like words. and you. write me a few?