June 28, 2013

Haley+Emily+Courtney


Our good friend, Chloe, got married yesterday. It was like a high school reunion, as weddings sometimes are. For the most part, though, I got to spend time with my best friends, and that was an absolute joy. The wedding was seriously beautiful and I've never seen Chloe so happy, I'm serious. In other news, one of my best friends, Emily (middle), has been completely MIA the past six months of my life, and I'm not kidding, this was the first encounter I've had with her since January. And Haley on the left there, well, I hadn't seen her in a while, but we slept in the same bed the other night so that makes up for it, I guess.

Anyway,
I was thinking last night about how odd it is that time moves so quickly when you start to grow up. Like, Emily is applying to PT school this year and potentially moving to the midwest... WHAT IS THAT ABOUT?! And Haley is probably going to do cool things like be a doctor's wife and have a million babies and drive a big SUV. And then, there's me. I don't know what I'll do after college. My dad keeps making reference to a study abroad, he wants me to write for a travel agency, and it's clear he believes I can be important, but I'm just so unsure about everything in my life at the moment. I literally haven't the slightest idea what I'm doing with any of it. I always thought I'd follow in the blueprint footsteps of my siblings and it is taking a while for me to understand that I am my own person and that it's okay to do things a different way. Right?

The point is, the three of us used to be inseparable. We used to ditch school for lunch at Olive Garden. We'd also ditch school to study for AP Art History tests at Einstein's (which may or may not have been counterproductive) (there was probably too much ditching school). We'd alternate sleepovers in each other's basements and watch Gilmore Girls until all hours of the morning. Made Wendy's runs at 2 A.M. in the summertime. Walgreen's runs in the middle of the night to toilet paper our ex-boyfriends' houses (okay, just my ex-boyfriend). Lacrosse games that were often painful and aggravating, but also sometimes a little bit fun. And how can we forget about the dove chocolate+french bread+pepsi drives when it rained outside?

And now Emily's ruining it all by applying to PT school and promoting being an adult. It's annoying.

1 comment:

  1. I think I'm just barely beginning to understand is that you never know what you're really doing with your life. You just keep moving forward and pull at opportunities as they fly at your face. You know? I totally feel you. I think your dad is very right, you can be and are something important. You'll find the right opportunity to show that - when it flies at your face someday soon!

    As for friends promoting adulthood and leaving us, I am SO with you. What the CRAP.

    ReplyDelete

i like words. and you. write me a few?